Show Hide Dropdown Using CSSJoin our Facebook group

Church Of Scotland Logo

Welcome To St Mary's Parish Church Website

ChurchOfScotland Club Crest

A warm welcome to the St Mary's Parish Church website

Inside Church

Unfortunately we have been in a vacancy situation since the retiral of our minister Elsie J. Fortune in April 2023. This is in line with the current Presbytery plan and follows the decision that our proposed union with St. Stephen's Church would not take place.

We are extremely lucky to have the support of four regular preachers who take turns in leading our worship every Sunday morning. Our services take place at 11am and are proceeded with a time of fellowship with a cup of tea or coffee, you are very welcome to join us.

Our History

Our Buildings St Marys

In the early 1930’s Aberdeen, like many other cities, built new housing schemes to house the families transported from the densely populated city centre areas, to the then perimeter areas of Torry, Kaimhill, Hilton, Middlefield, Pittodrie and Seaton.

As part of the Church Extension initiative Aberdeen Presbytery were advised in 1935 that a site for the Pittodrie Church at the corner of King Street and Regent Walk had been bought for £1600, and that Messrs A. Marshall MacKenzie, Architects, had been appointed to draw up plans for the new granite built Church. It was later reported that the estimated cost would be £10143.18/8d.

On the 19th October 1938 the Moderator of Aberdeen Presbytery Rev J.K.Wilkin opened and dedicated the Pittodrie Church Halls. Then on the 6th January 1939 came the highlight when the Presbytery Moderator returned to open and dedicate the new Pittodrie Church.

On the 5th of November 1950 a Union of Pittodrie and Gallowgate Churches took place. This was as a result of the Gallowgate Church being bombed during the Second World War and subsequently demolished, the congregation worshipped in temporary premises till in 1950 a vacancy arose at Pittodrie, a union was agreed and the Minister of Gallowate, Rev Inglis Miller became Minister of the United Churches. A few years later the Pittodrie Gallowgate name was dropped and it became known as St Mary’s Parish Church.

Our Ministers down through the years

1939 – 1942 Rev Ian M. Macalister (Pittodrie Church)

1944 – 1950 Rev Roderick MacKinnon (Pittodrie Church)

1950 – 1954 Rev W. Inglis Miller (Union of Pittodrie Church and Gallowgate Church)

1954 – 1967 Rev Nigel A. M. MacKenzie (St Mary’s)

1967 – 2002 Rev Michael S. M. Crawford (St Mary’s)

2003 – 2023 Rev Elsie J. Fortune (St Mary’s)

2023 - Vacant.

Last Updated - 09/06/2024
Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional Valid CSS!